Sunday, January 17, 2016

Brain Food: The Healthy Gut is a Happy Gut


Dr. Vincent Pedre, an internist in New York City....from NYTIMES interview:
"A happy gut is a gut that is able to do all of the work of digestion. It has a healthy microbiome, it’s able to extract all the nutrients you need from your food without causing any pain, discomfort, bloating or distress, and it creates a bowel movement at least once a day."
"But in general I tell my patients to basically eat mostly plants. My approach is a combination of Paleo and vegan. I advocate eating a lot of vegetables, complemented by meat. You should try to choose meat that’s organic, hormone-free and grass-fed. I also believe in incorporating a healthy amount of fats like omega-3’s from avocados, cold-water fatty fish, nuts and seeds."
"Whether it’s through a yogurt or kefir or fermented vegetables like kimchi, or a fermented probiotic drink like kombucha, fermented foods are going to help promote a healthy, balanced gut flora. We know that the gut flora can shift very quickly depending on your diet. And I think it needs this continued support from cultured foods."
"My diet is very similar to the “Happy Gut” diet that I write about in the book. I try to make the majority of my diet salads, greens and steamed vegetables. I bring in healthy fats through nuts and seeds, ideally sprouted. And I love kombucha, so that’s a regular part of my diet. I stay away from dairy and gluten, and during the season when the farmers’ market is near my home, I like to buy my produce there so I can support the local farmers. I also try to minimize my exposure to pesticides."
"It’s a 360-degree approach to your lifestyle, and the way you balance your stress is just as important as the way that you’re eating."
http://www.eomega.org/article/a-healthy-gut-makes-a-happy-you

No comments:

Post a Comment