to keep them soft - cook them like you would a brownie -until the inside part is not wet -take them out immediately. This way, they are soft!
- Place racks in lower and upper thirds of oven; preheat to 375°. Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk egg, butter, granulated sugar, molasses, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Mix in dry ingredients just to combine. Place sanding sugar in a shallow bowl. Scoop out dough by the tablespoonful and roll into balls (if dough is sticky, chill 20 minutes). Roll in sugar and place on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing 2” apart. Bake cookies, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until cookies are puffed, cracked, and just set around edges (overbaked cookies won’t be chewy), 8–10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup mild-flavored (light) or robust-flavored (dark) molasses
- ¼ cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- Coarse sanding or raw sugar (for rolling)NOTES: used powdered sugar for rollingONLY 1/3 SUGAR/ NO BROWN SUGARONE TEASP BAKING SODA + ONE TEASP OF BAKING PWDER